Overview Of BNY Mellon:
BNY Mellon is a global financial services company focused on helping clients manage and service their financial assets, operating in 35 countries and serving more than 100 markets. BNY Mellon is a leading provider of financial services for institutions, corporations and high-net-worth individuals, providing superior asset management and wealth management, asset servicing, issuer services, clearing services and treasury services through a worldwide client-focused team.
The successful candidate will join the EMEA investment management legal team in London which currently consists of 9 lawyers and 1 admin assistant. The EMEA investment management legal team is part of the broader BNY Mellon EMEA Legal team.
The investment management legal team’s primary role is to provide legal advice and assistance and to act as a business partner to BNY Mellon Investment Management’s investment firms in EMEA, which include Alcentra, Newton, Walter Scott, and BNY Mellon Investment Management EMEA. These are separately run firms each with their own investment strategies and philosophy, all operating within the BNY Mellon group. There are also two fund management companies operating in each of the UK and Luxembourg. These fund management companies operate and manage a number of funds. These are both UCITS (UK and Irish ranges) and regulated and unregulated alternative investment funds established in a variety of different jurisdictions, including, the UK, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Channel Islands and Cayman. The team also works closely with and provides assistance to colleagues based in continental Europe, the US, Asia and Brazil where relevant.
The position will be primarily focused on providing in-house legal support to BNY Mellon Investment Management’s central distribution businesses. The role will involve working closely will businesses colleagues in London, Luxembourg and across BNY Mellon’s offices in EMEA.
The role will involve:
• negotiating all forms of distribution arrangements with distribution partners across EMEA – the candidate will be the main contact person with the business for all distribution-related matters
• advising and supporting the sales and client support teams
• general support to BNY Mellon’s branch network in EMEA
• managing the use of outside counsel where required on distribution-related matters
• advising on legislative and regulatory developments affecting the distribution of BNY Mellon Investment Management products and services in EMEA, and negotiating segregated account IMAs contracted by BNY Mellon and delegated to one of its investment firms.
Ideally a UK and/or Luxembourg qualified lawyer with circa 3-9 years PQE gained from a leading law firm / in-house with familiarity in negotiating distribution agreements – in particular, sub-distribution agreements, platform arrangements, fund link and rebate arrangements. However, candidates with a good understanding of the asset management sector may also be considered.
• Ability to solve problems and find solutions
• Ability to identify and manage legal risks
• Positive, commercial and flexible attitude
• Good drafting and negotiating skills
• Good team player
• Language skills would be a bonus but not essential
• Must have a sound knowledge of FSMA and the FCA Handbook
• Enthusiastic, with a desire to develop one’s career in one of the world’s largest investment management businesses.
What we can offer you:
• Challenging, fun and supportive environment
• 25 days holiday (in addition to Bank Holidays) plus opportunity to purchase up to 5 extra days
• Highly competitive benefits package including pension and private medical cover